Thursday, November 26, 2009

11/26/09 WAY TO GO, MIKE!

MY TREE STAND
VIEW TO THE SOUTHEAST
VIEW TO THE EAST
VIEW TO THE NORTH
VIEW TO THE WEST
VIEW TO THE SOUTH

Noon. Well, we had our weather change, it was 32 degrees at 6:00 AM and the temperature has not risen since. I was on the deer stand before daylight and stayed there until 9:30 AM. The wind picked up and blew from the north-northwest all morning. Again there was no movement of deer, no fresh tracks and the apples and corn I put down yesterday afternoon were untouched. I talked with hunters who have been on the old buffalo farm to my north and they have seen nothing. I heard two shots about 8:30 AM, over the ridge to the west, otherwise everything very quiet again.
When I got home about 10:00 AM to help Joan with Thanksgiving dinner preparations, she informed me that Mike had called about 8:00 AM. He got a 12 point buck, shot it on the Larsen sugar bush, by the old farmhouse and apple trees I hunted at the other evening. He shot it just before closing yesterday, couldn’t find it, didn’t sleep all night and went out and found it this morning, about a hundred yards from where he shot it. He was so excited he called again at 9:00 AM to see if I had gotten home yet so he could tell his tale again. He deserves to have gotten the big buck, as he has been seeing it since before the season opened. I called him when I got home but his wife informed me that he and neighbor Jim had just left for the bar at the Village Inn in Cornucopia to do a little celebrating and I am sure some tale-telling. Way to go, Mike. You’re keeping my spirits up!