Thursday, May 14, 2009

5/14/09 THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON




Thursday, 8:00 AM. 40 degrees, wind W, gale force at times. The channel is choppy, the sky is mostly overcast but clearing and the barometer predicts sunny skies.
I was checking plantings at Reiten Boatyard Park on the lake front late yesterday afternoon when I was approached by a strange creature reminiscent of something out of a 1950’s science fiction movie. It said “hello” so I had to assume it was friendly. It did not say, “take me to your leader,” assuming I guess that I was as high up on the totem pole as it was likely to find at the moment. It’s space ship was not in sight. It turns out this apparition was none other than Dwayne Szot (see blog of 1/22/09) heading for his daily swim in the harbor. He swims from ice-out to freeze-up, using a variety of wet suits. The aerobic effects of swimming, the stimulation of ice-cold water and the acceleration of heartbeat cased by shear fear must give him a heart like a steam engine. I’ll just keep planting trees, thank you. Good Luck, Dwayne!