Thursday, April 09, 2009

4/09/09 BOILING, BEARS AND BLOOMS




Thursday, 8:00 AM. 35 degrees, wind W, calm. The sky is partly cloudy and the barometer predicts sunny skies. I am on my way to the sugar bush, where we collected 80 gallons of sap yesterday.
Andy and Judy came to dinner last evening, they were glad to get away from boiling sap for a while. About 8:30 neighbor Sherman called to tell me there was a cub and a big sow bear up a tree in Albrecht’s yard next door. While he was on the phone the sow came down the tree and both he and Pebbles made a strategic retreat to the garage. Soon all the neighborhood dogs were out and about barking and the bears evidently left for a quieter location. I bought bird seed yesterday but I think I will be circumspect as to how and when I put it in the feeders.
There is a lot of open water now. The Forsythia branches I brought in to force are blooming, right on time for Easter.