Saturday, November 22, 2008

11/22/08 PRETTY, COLD, NO DEER




Saturday, 5:30 AM. 10 degrees, wind NW, calm. The sky looks pretty clear, with about a quarter waning moon and some stars so it will be somewhat light before dawn, allowing me to walk down to the tree stand early.
I intend to stay out all day unless I get to too cold and come in for lunch.
5:30 PM: no luck today! Saw nothing except a rabbit, a red squirrel and a crow. It was cold all morning, never getting into the twenties until mid afternoon. It was otherwise a beautiful day with the sun glistening on the frosted branches and grasses. I believe the rut is indeed over, and I don’t know what will move the deer. But hope springs eternal, and I will go out again tomorrow morning, maybe not quite so early, and hunt my way down to my stands.
The photos are of my big oak tree stand with a brush blind around it, of the sun disappearing into the woods late in the day from my tree stand, and the end of the cold, lonesome day. A half-hour in front of the fire with a stiff drink and I am still thawing out.