Friday, June 20, 2008

6/20/08 GETTIN' READY FOR COMPANY


Friday, 7:30 AM. 56 degrees, wind NE, calm. The channel is calm. The barometer is down, predicting partly cloudy skies, which are at present hazy blue. We could use some rain (but one rain barrel is still full, good for days of watering baskets and pots).
I brought the the old Boston Whaler boat home from the Johnson’s barn yesterday late afternoon. It’s a mess and needs lots of work, and on top of that the registration stickers are expired, I never received a renewal notice. It may get in the water while company is here and it may not. Coming home from the Johnson’s I saw a little black dog crossing the road. Upon closer inspection it was a bear cub, maybe 30 pounds or so, certainly this year’s cub. When I stopped it scampered down a path so fast it raised a little dust cloud behind it. Mama must have been up ahead, whom I just missed seeing.
Still lots to do to get ready for all the company.